F17 vs. Pentium 4

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Mar 29 22:29:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2012/03/29 14:30 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:
>
>> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
>>>  What kind of Pentium IV. There were several versions and also multiple
>>>  motherboards all of which will affect whether this question can be
>>>  answered.
>
>> Stepping 9.
>
> Stepping doesn't say anything useful without family & model for context. I'm
> looking at two different Hyperthreading P4 cpuinfo screens ATM, stepping of 3
> on one, 5 on the other, but one is model 4 family 5 2048 cache (2.8GHz
> Prescott I think), the other model 6 family 5 2048 cache (3.4GHz Cedar Mill
> for sure).

Family 15, model 2.

Here is /proc/cpuinfo:
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 2
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping	: 9
cpu MHz		: 3200.000
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips	: 6384.10
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 128
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 2
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping	: 9
cpu MHz		: 3200.000
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 1
initial apicid	: 1
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips	: 6383.09
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 128
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

>> Apparently it doesn't have NX.
>> At least it doesn't show up in /proc/cpuinfo
>
> On the two I'm looking at NX shows on the 2nd output line between pbe & lm.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily