Anaconda 17.24-1 reverts to msdos disklabels for new installs

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Tue May 1 23:08:00 UTC 2012

Back in Fedora 16 we tried to advance the state of the art. We switched
to using GPT disklabels by default, and in many cases this worked just
fine. But it has become increasingly obvious that the hardware isn't
ready for us. We continue to get reports of boot problems related to
BIOS that attempt to examine the disk before booting and GPT confuses
them -- even when we set the PMBR's boot flag.

So, for Fedora 17 we are going backwards and will wait for the world to
catch up. What's changed:

 * msdos disklabels will be the default for disks under 2TB
 * GPT can be forced by passing gpt on the kernel cmdline
 * nogpt cmdline argument has been removed

This only effects BIOS installs. EFI will continue to use GPT, as will
disks larger than 2T