Weird Firefox performance issue

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 2 22:26:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 10:14 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2012 09:50:22 -0400
> Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have any thoughts?
>
> My only thought is that firefox became popular mainly because
> it wasn't a slow bloated mess, now it has evolved into a slow
> bloated mess, and chrome is becoming popular because it isn't
> a slow bloated mess (yet :-).

So, nothing useful, then?

Jon, could you quantify 'poor performance' a bit? Was the entire app
slow, or were certain operations - hostname resolution, for instance? -
slow? Was it thrashing the disk, or the CPU? Are we talking slow
_interaction_ - buttons taking a long time to respond, slow scrolling -
or slow _retrieval and rendering_ of page content? Just 'poor
performance' seems a bit general.