F17-Beta: some flaws

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Tue May 8 06:03:37 UTC 2012

Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Er, this sounds silly, but did you remember to chroot before running it?
>
> The rescue shell runs already with uid=0! (confirmed by an id command)

That's irrelevant.  You have to chroot to /mnt/sysimage if you expect things to
work properly.  And then do "su -" so paths and stuff are setup as well.

>> Why did you do this from a rescue shell? And when you say 'the keyboard
>> remains US', *where* exactly? Desktops have their own keyboard layout
>> settings which can override the system-wide ones.
>
> As soon as the shell was available, I used "system-config-keyboard" from
> that TTY to select another keyboard type (booting the rescue DVD does
> not allow such a selection), in my case german-no-deadkeys. Was
> accepted, but effectless.

Right, that's not going to work, see above.

>>> Trying "yum install */gdisk" produces an error:
>>>
>>> File "/usr/bin/yum", line 28, in<module>
>>> import yummain
>>>
>>> Import error: No module named yummain
>>
>> yeah, you're not really supposed to be able to yum from within rescue, I
>> don't think.
>
> You don't think, or you know? How to install additional packages
> elsewise? And why then it's possible to call yum in the rescue shell?

It's possible to call yum because when rescue mode mounts your installed system,
it adds the bin directories to the path, but because the root is wrong, most
commands will be really confused.  Yum and pretty much any other command work
just fine when you've used chroot as described above.