obsolete http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda_Boot_Options

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Thu May 10 13:31:28 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 11:33 AM, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 03:49:27AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>>
>> I never heard of an ip command before.
>
> What can I say?  'man ip', as used by Fedora 16, has "17 January 2002"
> for a timestamp and quite possibly this is not the first version.  For
> all this time this was supposed to be "the command" for manipulating
> network interfaces, with all other stuff lingering only for back
> compatibility reasons, so it is not that surprising that dracut has only
> a copy of ip.  BTW - 'ip help' or 'ip <some_partial_command> help'
> should give you usually enough of help if at some point you do not know
> what to do.

To be fair 95% of the people out there only ever deal with a simple eth0
with one ip and ifconfig/route is what they have learned and that is
perfectly sufficient for that use-case.

Having said that I did bite the bullet and just forced myself to use "ip"
instead and after a week I preferred it over the other commands so ifconfig
and friends really just stick around because old habits die hard.

Regards,
  Dennis