Nomodeset in grub

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue May 15 14:38:10 UTC 2012

On 5/15/12 3:53 AM, A.J. Werkman wrote:

> I freshly installed F17-TC5, changed gfxpayload to text and added
> nomodeset to the boot options. Then I rebuild the grub config-file with
> grub2-mkconfig.
>
> Indeed I now have a 80*25 text screen on the console when I boot.
>
> In /sys/class/drm I do see symlinks though.

You ought to see some symlinks.  You should see (approximately) one
card%d and one controlD%d for every video card you have installed; in
addition, if you've not disabled modesetting, you should also see
symlinks for each output.

> From your comment I conclude, that I more or less wrongly use
> nomodeset. Can you tell me what the 'official' way is, to reach my goal?

I'm sorry, I don't believe know what your goal is.  All you've said so
far is that you used to do this thing, and that now it doesn't work the
way it used to.  I don't think I caught _why_ you were doing that thing.

- ajax