prevent anaconda start

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 24 16:24:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 00:40 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2012/05/23 18:45 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 20:48 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >>  Intel 865 gfxchip.
>
> >>  No idea whether this result is intentional or not, but I put a 3 on end of
> >>  Grub cmdline to start an HTTP installation of F17 from a mirror. After the
> >>  installation system downloaded, I got login prompts on most ttys, and no
> >>  Anaconda anywhere, text or GUI.
>
> > Well, that seems rather expected. If you want a text mode install, use
> > the option on the boot menu or pass parameter 'text'.
>
> I wasn't looking for a text mode install. The "3" was just a habit from
> normal booting. For openSUSE and Mandriva/Mageia installation (and IIRC
> *buntu's and maybe even Debian's), including it will cause their installation
> programs to also include the 3 in the Grub menu stanzas, but have no effect
> on the installation process itself. Having it totally prevent any kind of
> installation initialization having booted an installation kernel and initrd
> to me is completely unexpected.

Well, 3 gets interpreted by systemd as 'boot to runlevel 3 equivalent',
so you get a text mode boot. But nothing told anaconda to start up in
text mode. So you just get...not much. You can't really assume that how
it behaves on another distro is how it'll behave on Fedora, unless it's
written down somewhere, and I don't recall ever seeing that. It's a bit
of a 'doctor it hurts', I think...