Release criteria proposal: partitioning (alpha and beta)

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Mon Oct 1 21:58:23 UTC 2012

On 10/01/2012 11:53 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I think it's a good design goal to get to, eventually, but I don't think it should be a release requirement for F18.
Disk partitioning resembles open heart surgery.  The patient suffers
when not done well.

Some software problems do not appear until Linux is used on a
"production" system.
My server has a large number of existing partitions.  It also has a few
unused partitions
so I can fall back to a working system if installation of a new release
fails to yield a
satisfactory result.  This came in very handy when I wasn't able to get
F17 to do the
things I needed.

I don't need much in the way of custom partitioning.  Make fdisk and
parted available
from Anaconda's Ctrl-Alt-F2 shell, then tell Anaconda where to install
Linux.  Not
elegant but workable and reasonably safe.

If Fedora doesn't have good support for custom partitioning people like
me will want to
jump to a distribution that does have good support for custom
partitioning.  And
we will be debugging Ubuntu, Suse, etc. and not Fedora.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com