Rebasing patches for fedora kernels

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:23:04 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 03:37 PM, Sandro Mani wrote:
> I was asked to try the drm-intel-next-queued for an intel drm bug (see
> [1]). While frequently rebuilding packages, I've seldom had to rebuild a
> kernel, especially with such a huge patch. In this case, I was lucky and
> the diff between the drm-intel-next-queued and the vanilla 3.6-rc7
> (against which the branch is based) applied with some successful hunks
> to kernel-3.6.0-1.fc18. But it would still be great to know, what would
> be the proper way to approach such a case?

Another option is to simply not bother with RPM for this:

1)  Grab the source from kernel.org (git clone)
2)  Copy the most recent kernel config-* file from /boot to .config in
    your kernel source tree.
3.) Apply patches
4)  Run 'make oldconfig' and hit enter until it completes.
5)  make -j<?> bzImage
6)  make -j<?> modules
7)  sudo make modules_install
8)  sudo make install

When the time comes to clean up, simply remove the unwanted files and
directories from /boot and /lib/modules.