Fedora 18 Beta Test Compose 1 (TC1) Available Now!

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 13:37:09 UTC 2012

On 5 October 2012 03:53, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/04/2012 10:49 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
>>
>> my only
>> nitpick is that time defaults to local and there doesn't seem a way to
>> choose during installation--Ubuntu does the same thing, though they choose
>> to set it to UTC.  (That is, no way to choose during install with Ubuntu).
>

> I never understood why you set the time in the installer then you are
> offered to do it again in Firstboot/*DE
>
> The one in the installer should simply be removed since experienced
> users/administrators configure ntp after install or in their kickstart file
> and firstboot takes care of the rest.

No the one in the installer is usually more useful than the one in
Firstboot. There is still a lot of buggy hardware out there where the
clock in the bios is crap. This can lead to the installed system
having files installed in the year 1900, 1960, 2100, or some similar
weird thing. Let us say administering such a system later is a pain in
the but. The worst is that if you go into the BIOS.. you think you
have the right time.. and you don't know it until the installer asks
you if the time Jan 01, 1900 is the correct one for your system.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."