Has anybody else seen a delay in xfce?

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 13:53:21 UTC 2012

When I switch from one workspace to another there is a noticeable delay (3-6 seconds), whether I do it by mouse-wheel, by clicking
on an open application in the taskbar, by using ctl-alt-arrow, or by setting the window manager to "Wrap workspaces when the pointer
reaches the screen edge" and scrolling right or left.  In the last case, the smaller the Edge resistance the better but it's still a
noticeable delay.  One thing I *do* notice is that those workspaces with the largest number of open GUI applications seem to take
longer to switch to than those that don't.   So, for example, if I switch to a workspace that just shows some desktop icons the
switch is virtually instantaneous.  But then when switching to my workspace that has, say, Thunderbird running in it, it will take
upwards of 6 seconds or more.  As a matter of fact, while drafting this email I switched to a blank ws and then back to this ws and
the return switch took 8 seconds (since I had Thunderbird *and* the screen in which I was drafting this email open at the time).  I
then minimized Thunderbird and the "new email" GUI's and then switched back and forth with impunity.  So is this an xfce issue or an
X issue do you think?  I didn't see this behaviour in the past before starting to work with F18 and rawhide.

--

Regards,