grubby is not updating grub.cfg

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Oct 7 17:38:24 UTC 2012

On Oct 7, 2012, at 7:32 AM, John Reiser wrote:

>> Installing : kernel-3.6.0-3.fc18.x86_64                                                              96/190
>> grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template
>>

>> The new kernel is not added to the grub.cfg. This is grubby-8.20-1.fc18.x86_64.
>
> One cause of this is having /boot be a mounted filesystem
> in one case but an ordinary directory (not-mounted-on) in another.

I'm not sure I understand what this means, or what it would look like.

In my case, /boot is a mounted btrfs subvolume. The mount/fstab basically looks like this:

/dev/sda1     /           subvol:Fedora18/root
/dev/sda1     /boot    subvol:Fedora18/boot

GRUB2 figures this out, in that grub2-install knows to bake the prefix /fedora18/boot/ into core.img so it knows where to find vmlinuz and initramfs. And grub2-install adds rootflags=subvol=fedora18/root as a kernel parameter.

So I'm not sure what part it's getting hung up on.

Chris Murphy