F18: increased login delay to 50 secs at verfiy first login after reboot

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Wed Oct 10 09:27:54 UTC 2012

On 10/10/2012 09:46 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Joachim Backes
> <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>> Dear F18 testers,
>>
>> on oct 7 I reported about login delays in F18, until the gnome3 desktop
>> appears,  at the very first gnome3 login afer reboot:
>> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2012-October/110696.html).
>>
>> In the meantime, after having applied all F18 updates, the delay has
>> increased to *horrible 50 seconds*.
>>
>> Any recipe for solving that problem, or any proposal for debugging?
>
> What is in ~/.cache/gdm/session.log ?
> Also you could try to use bootchart to see where the time is spent.

Hi drago01,

thank you for your answer.

1. file ~/.cache/gdm/session.log does not exist

2. The usage of bootchart gives me no answer because

   a. the usage of other desktops like xfce shows no such delay,
   b. after logging out from the delayed login, a second login
      is marginal delayed
   c. the described behaviour does not appear for freshly
      (in F18) created users, but only for those users whose home
      dir has been imported (means copied!) from F17. Therefore
      I guess some file (or .file) in that user's home (or subdirs)
      is the culprit.

Kind regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>