F18 TC3 No Logout Option?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Oct 10 12:57:23 UTC 2012

On 10/10/2012 08:29 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 06:45 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
>>> Just installed TC3 in a VBox VM from the DVD and came across the what
>>> a probably known issues.  Poor partition options, time zone not
>>> being set properly.....
>>>
>>> The one that seems to be a new is the inability to logout from GNOME.
>>>  I can't go back and check TC2 since I wiped it out...but I think I
>>> could logout from it.
>>>
>>> When I click on the User Name in the right corner the options are....
>>>  Notifications, System Settings, Lock, and Power Off.  Am I missing
>>> something?
>> This is a new feature from the GNOME team (i.e. it's intended). They believe there are no use cases for logging out, if you have just a single user.
> It is a little more nuanced than that.
>
> We don't offer to log out if there is just a single user, and a single
> session (ie desktop env). I there is just a single user, and you have
> e.g. xfce installed, we currently show 'Switch session'. Unfortunately,
> that doesn't work, so we'll replace it with 'Log out'. If you have
> multiple users, we always show 'Log out'.
>
> The region panel, where you can switch your language (which only takes
> effect after logout currently, unfortunately), will get an explicit
> logout button.
>
> You can always end your session by running gnome-session-quit in a
> terminal.

I see.....  Not sure there is any advantage to making things nuanced.  Seems like adding more logic just because one can.

Anyway....  Is it also a known issue that after one logs out (which I can do now since I've installed KDE and added a second user)  the "power off" seems to think a user is still logged in and one has to authenticate to proceed with the power off?