manual partitioning "Apply Changes" button

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Oct 11 00:38:57 UTC 2012

On Oct 10, 2012, at 5:42 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 17:24 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> This button is new in TC3. But appears to be superfluous in that it
>> does nothing (yet?), but more importantly I don't understand why it
>> would even be needed. Would anyone like to address my confusion?
>
> I'm not the designer, but I think I can see why it's there.
>
> The 'size' field is right there as part of the screen in question, for
> instance, it's not a child window or anything. So what should happen
> while I'm typing '5000' into that box? Should the screen update to show
> a partition of size 5, then a partition of size 50, then a partition of
> size 500, then a partition of size 5000? Or should it try and do some
> kind of heuristic to figure out when you're done twiddling and put the
> change 'live'? (ew). Having an 'apply changes' button seems a necessary
> evil.

I think its purpose is not discoverable. The button is located far away from the singular option to which it appears applicable.

And yes, I'd prefer a 5 second time out OR a click elsewhere, that would cause a live update. Update on click is what happens with the RAID 1/0 checkboxes.

I'm also confused by the difference in units, MB vs GB. Seems like the size field could be GB with a decimal just like the presentation on the left.

Probably trivial matters for F18 at this point, I feel...

Chris Murphy