kernel: Request for unknown module key

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:09:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM,  <John.Florian at dart.biz> wrote:
>> From: Carl G <carlg at fedoraproject.org>
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> You should consult https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Secureboot
>
> Okay, that page certainly sounds like a good start, but it seems short on
> some details.  My custom spin uses only Fedora-provided boot components,
> kernel and modules, yet I still get these messages.  Just before
> livecd-creator reaches the %post of my kickstart, I see these:
>
> Missing EFI file (/boot/efi/EFI/*/shim.efi)
> Missing EFI file (/boot/efi/EFI/*/gcdx64.efi)
> Missing EFI file (/boot/efi/EFI/*/fonts/unicode.pf2)
> Failed to copy EFI files, no EFI Support will be included.
> Missing shim.efi, skipping efiboot.img creation.

None of that is relevant to the error message you have.

> So maybe I'm just missing some new required things in my kickstart?  To be

No, it isn't a kickstart thing.

> perfectly clear, my target hardware does not have EFI, nor do I require
> these secure-boot features.  So do I have to just live with all this noise
> in the system log?  Or is there a way to quiet things down a bit by
> installing some "shim" package or some such?

Post the full dmesg output of the boot.  There should be a section in
there about loading the module signing key with a key listed.  If that
didn't succeed, it will produce that error message when a module is
loaded, but it will still load.

josh