Review of Fedora 18 Release Criteria (Second Attempt)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 10:39:28 UTC 2012

On 10/25/2012 10:04 AM, Kamil Paral wrote:
> If you think about it, it's funny that we consider autopart to be "easier", and we require it earlier to be working than custom part, that we consider "harder" (now we even think about moving most custom part criteria to Final). But Alpha/Beta are for hardcore users (more manual part) and Final is for general users (more autopart). Isn't that a bit... weird? I still wonder whether we should dictate which parts of UI work and which parts do not, as long as no user data are unintentionally destroyed.

We decide a long time ago as in the Alpha criteria was and arguably
should be based on only "default" next next next install from the
installer either text based or graphical ( Default partition layout,
minimal package group selected, english as a language and keyboard
layout on a single disk as in minimal install functionality )  with a
clean functional boot up ( kernel/init system ) to terminal with a
working login for root and a functional network connection for reporters
to be able to update and or install or manually tweak the rest on top of
that .

Needless to say the Alpha criteria has grown a bit more complex since
that time so there is no wonder that we have a bit of inconsistency in
it...

JBG