Installation Matrix Template - new Anaconda related changes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 18:23:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 09:54 -0400, Josef Skladanka wrote:
> = Obsoleted Testcases =
> * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Package_Sets_Package_Groups_Check
>
> = Questions/Discussion =
>
> == QA:Testcase Anaconda autopart (use all space) install ==
>
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_%28use_all_space%29_install>
>
> The current wording requires the user to select "use all space". At the moment, Anaconda behaves differently for disk with/without partitions present
> Shall we
>   1) Describe both variants in one testcase - i.e. something like "If the disk contained any partitions, Reclaim all space"
>   2) Have separate testcases for each variant
>   3) Something completely different
>
> I'm leaning towards #1, but I guess we should discuss this.
>
> == QA:Testcase Anaconda autopart (shrink) install ==
>
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_%28shrink%29_install>
>
> IMHO this testcase will need quite a rewrite, I think something like this could do it:
>
> |actions=
> # Boot the installer using any available means
> # Proceed to the Installation Destination screen
> # Choose disk, and select ''Continue''
> # At the Installation Options dialog, select ''Reclaim Space''
> # Select a previous disk partition to ''Shrink''
> # Continue installation, choosing all provided defaults
> |results=
> # Anaconda should prompt for an existing partition to resize
> # Anaconda should successfully resize the selected partition
> # The system should install successfully
> # After install, the system boots successfully
>
> == QA:Testcase anaconda ext4 rootfs on disk partition ==
>
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_anaconda_ext4_rootfs_on_disk_partition>
>
> As this is basically "the new default", this testcase IMHO could be obsoleted (as there is not a 'LVM on rootfs' testcase for F17).
> Also, new testcase - anaconda_LVM_on_disk_partition (or something like that) should be created as a reasonable replacement

I've been planning to do this for a while. I think the right approach is
just to mostly junk the existing test cases and start over; newUI
partitioning is different enough that this seems the sensible way to me.
The existing test cases, when you look at them, are clearly designed
around oldUI; someone sat down and said 'what test cases do we need to
exercise all the options oldUI provides outside of custom
partitioning?', and the test cases we have are what they came up with.

I think we need to look at how the newUI design is supposed to work and
mould our test cases around that, just as was done for oldUI. So we need
test cases that exercise the 'guided partitioning' flow in various ways,
basically.

The list I'd come up with so far looks like this:

1. autopart empty disk
2. autopart existing empty space
3. autopart wipe entire disk
4. autopart alongside existing
5. autopart shrink
6. autopart multidisk

so for 1) you feed it an entirely empty disk and let it autopart into
it, with as little user input as possible. for 2) you feed it a disk
with data but also enough empty space for an install and let it autopart
(with the expectation it'll use the empty space and keep whatever was
already on the disk accessible). for 3) you feed it a full disk and use
'guided partitioning' to delete all the existing partitions. for 4) you
feed it a disk with two OS installs (or an OS install plus a data
partition or something), wipe one of the OSes (or the data partition)
with guided partitioning, and let it autopart into the empty space. 5)
is a full disk with Fedora or Windows on it, shrink the existing OS
partition and install into that space. 6) is feed it two empty disks and
see what it does. There's more beyond that, but this was the basic
approach I came up with. WDYT?