[Test-Announce] LVM autopart testing

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 21:23:31 UTC 2012

> Hey, folks.
>
> So the Big LVM Autopart Controversy has been kicked upstairs to FESCo:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/964
>
> If they say 'go with LVM', we'll have to do that.
>
> I have no idea what FESCo will decide, but we should cover our bets
> either way, I think, so it will do no harm to do some testing of the LVM
> autopart stuff over the weekend rather than wait till after FESCo makes
> up its mind.
>
> So, for those doing validation testing, if you could run a few test
> installs with LVM autopart and make sure everything's okay that'd be
> great. There's nowhere formal to report results - just yell on the list
> if you find a bug that doesn't affect ext4 autopart.
>
> I have a couple of updates.imgs available:
>
> http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/updates-lvm.img against 18.19 (TC6)
> http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/updates-lvm-1821.img against 18.21
> (smoke12, possibly TC7)
>
> The first is for anaconda 18.19 - what's in TC6. The second is for
> anaconda 18.21 - what's in smoke12 and would possibly be in TC7. If more
> anaconda builds show up, I'll provide updates.img for them following the
> same name scheme.
>
> All you really have to do to test is use these updates.imgs and do a
> regular old autopart install. Two things should happen - the install
> shouldn't explode (unless you hit some unrelated bug, of course) and you
> should get LVs for your system partitions (not /boot) by default, just
> as you did with F17 and earlier. If you hit a problem, do test *without*
> the updates.img too before pulling the fire alarm, just in case it's not
> anything to do with the LVM change.
>
> You can also test autopart-within-custom-partitioning if you like. The
> button in custom part that says something like 'create partitions
> automatically'. It should also give you LVM-based partitioning with this
> patch. (It does for me, I checked).
>
> Thanks everyone!

Johann pointed out I forgot to include a link to the page with
instructions on how to use updates images. For anyone who doesn't know,
here it is:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates

sorry for leaving this out! The short version is you just add
'updates=(URL)' to the boot parameters for the installer, so at the boot
menu screen you hit 'Tab' to edit the boot parameters, add
'updates=http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/updates-lvm.img' or
'updates=http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/updates-lvm-1821.img' , and
then hit enter and proceed with install as normal. You do need
networking to be working 'out of the box' for this to work - so a wired
DHCP connection, basically.