HEADS UP several very old sysconfig files are being deprecated

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Sat Oct 27 02:30:14 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-27 at 01:24 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> I highly recommend against setting the hardware clock to localtime but
> because I know some of you guys are dual booting with windows and to
> lazy to fix the registry here's how you set the hardware clock to use
> localtime instead..
>
> # timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

This all looks good, especially keeping this.  It isn't just coexistence
with Windows that makes it a good idea to put local time into the CMOS
clock.  If you want to wake up a machine in the morning it is a lot
simpler to do with local time in the clock, otherwise you either have it
waking up an hour early half the year or manually twiddle twice a year.

Complete shutdown saves even more electricity than suspend and is less
error prone on the typical desktop.  Which adds up if you have a lot of
desktops.  I only have a few dozen but every dollar that isn't wasted
helps.