More experiences with Spherical Cow

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Sat Sep 8 22:49:56 UTC 2012

Lately I have been able to install new versions of Spherical Cow
using pxeboot with the liveos squashfs.  Installing over a
gigabit Ethernet is orders of magnitude faster than burning
a DVD-RW and watching it grinding away "forever" during
the install.

Today I installed "xfce", dev libs, and dev tools.  attempts to
install a more useful set failed with broken resolution.

The root password dialog is missing one or more error messages.
I have to assume what the issue is and fake it.  Not luser friendly.

I still see no sign of ability to do custom disk partitioning.

The firstboot date dialog cannot set network time, claiming
it can't write ntp.conf.      When I run admin/date to turn on
network time it fails, complaining it can't contact any time servers.

Spherical Cow is one sick puppy right now.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com