[criteria update] Package set

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 02:38:08 UTC 2012

drago01 (drago01 at gmail.com) said:
> > There is no default 'package set' now (by design, it's not a bug).
>
> This *is* a bug IMO. We should have reasonable defaults and allow the
> user to change them if he wants. But we should not force the user to
> make choices that way. A user would have to know the differences
> between the options to be able to make an informed decision. In case
> the user has this knowledge he/she can open the spoke and change the
> selection. In case the user doesn't it might more or less end up in a
> random/wrong change.

If the user can't make a choice, they should be using a live image, IMO;
the entire point of the DVD install has always been that it provided
a choice of things for the user to install. Instead of the prior DVD,
which offered a variety of co-dependent groups for the user to slice
and dice at will (often finding new ways to break their system), the idea of
the current installation is that it provides a set of pre-defined
installation choices on the left, all of which should install functional
systems (and pretty much resemeble the existing spins.)

Bill