Anaconda exception handling testing

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 18:13:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 05:05 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:

> > > Last but not least, we should consider removing
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_traceback_debug_mode
> > > because I don't see how that helps our users. That is mainly useful
> > > for developers, but no user will ever use that, they will use
> > > updates.img at best. There is no reason for us to test it.
> >
> > I usually want to at least recall why we had something in the
> > criteria
> > in the *first* place before we take it out, but aside from that I
> > have
> > no concrete objections. Anyone remember why we put that in there?
> > anaconda folks, is it something you consider critical?
>
> I think it was created somewhat organically [1] - there was a button in the installer, so we wrote a test case for it.
>
> I'll talk to anaconda developers and ask them for more details about this feature.
>
> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/ticket/33

Oh right, sorry, brain dead: I was thinking of the criteria, not test
cases, for some reason.

For test cases, I reckon that as long as a test case is still valid and
testing something that may be useful in some scenario, there's no profit
in dropping it. But if it no longer relates to a criterion, it should be
made an 'optional' test - i.e. it should have no release phase (Alpha,
Beta, Final) in the column on the left of the table. Test cases with no
associated release are optional, we don't have to do them, but if we
have extra time, we can do them.

If we ever get lots and lots of optional test cases it may be worth
making sure they're all at the bottom of the tables or separating them
out some other way, but for now there's only a few.