Fedora and MATE desktop

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 16:15:22 UTC 2012

On 21 September 2012 12:32, Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MATE-Desktop for your reference
> It's not a small job that's for sure.

I'm not sure I see the point. mate-power-manager is just the output of
a sed script changing all instances of GNOME to MATE of a specific
release in time. In about 2 years time there's going to be ~50
packages that have had close to 0% upstream work since forking. I'm
the original author of gnome-power-manager and have zero interest in
keeping such an old branch working. As technologies change (e.g.
moving from HAL to UPower and UDisks) the MATE desktop is going to be
harder to ship as it'll have to include things like mate-hal,
mate-gvfs-compat and mate-glib-compat. I'm not sure that's the kind of
thing we want in Fedora[1] given how strict we are about making other
common code abstracted out in managed shared libraries.

Richard.

[1] Given there are security things like  libmatekeyring dealing with
passwords, which are basically unmaintained and do not get the latest
security updates.