Testing Fedora Alpha 18

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Sep 23 16:11:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-23 at 14:58 +0100, deep64blue wrote:
> Hi
>

> I'm trying to test Fedora 18 Alpha but I can't see how to create LVM
> partitions with the new installer, perhaps I'm being stupid but I
> don't find the new installer intuitive at all :-(

You can't really do it at present, the custom partitioning in Alpha is
very unfinished. You can do it through a kickstart install.

> I did check that LVMs are part of the Alpha criteria and they are:-
>

> "The installer must be able to complete an installation using the
> entire disk, existing free space, or existing Linux partitions
> methods, with or without encryption or LVM enabled"
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Alpha_Release_Criteria

Sorry for the confusion. That criterion was written with specific
reference to the oldUI interface: the options it lists are the various
autopart options oldUI had. We therefore agreed that it's not
appropriate for newUI, which has a different interface. We've been
drafting a revised criterion on this list, and we agreed for 18 Alpha
blocker review purposes to use the gist of the new criterion, which is
that the sole autopart option 18 Alpha's anaconda offers (use entire
disk(s)) must work. I hoped to have the finished version of the
criterion in place on the official page by now (it's my draft) but
didn't quite get around to it yet, apologies.