Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 17:03:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:40:08 +0200
drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The installer must be able to successfully complete an upgrade
> > installation from a clean, fully updated default installation (from
> > any official install medium) of the previous stable Fedora release,
> > either via preupgrade or by booting to the installer manually. The
> > upgraded system must meet all release criteria.

> Neither will the installer. For F18 a new tool will be written that
> acts like preupgrade (downloads packages; reboots; upgrades), it might
> use preupgrade but this isn't decided yet.
> So I suggest to rewrite the text to say "The upgrade tool".

Point taken - there are few details available (that I'm aware of) which
describe how any upgrades will work for F18. How about:

A clean, fully updated default installation (done with any official
install method) of the previous stable Fedora release must be
upgradable via any officially supported upgrade mechanism. The upgraded
system must meet all release criteria.

Tim