Upstream first? [Was: Re: The future of how to debug pages]

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 10:37:35 UTC 2012

> I personally split maintainers in the distribution into three
> categories.
>
> 1. Packager
>
> 2, Maintainer
>
> 3. Upstream maintainer

Nice categorization.

We differ in the view of Packagers. You consider them harmful, I consider them desired. I am missing *lots* of packages in Fedora when compared to Debian. I would rather have lots of extra packages, some of them broken, than no extra packages. I think you overstate the importance of "Maintainer" class. Lots of packages maintained by a "Packager" will work just fine, just a fraction of them will be broken (and surely some users will appear to provide patches).

If the Packager disappears from Fedora and the project is orphaned, that's completely OK too. Having the package for a year or two is better than not having it at all.

This does not involve core system packages, they usually have multiple Maintainers around, or even Upstream maintainers. And for all the small projects there are out there on the Internets, Packager class person is just fine, and much better than no person at all.