newer kernels not shown in grub2 menu

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Sep 30 16:18:24 UTC 2012

On Sep 28, 2012, at 7:32 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> Dear folks,
>>
>> running Fedora 18 alpha and have seen new kernel releases, but the older kernel still boots :(
>
>> How can one make sure that the lastest kernel is booted?
>>
>> I don't know if a bugzilla exists for this situation.  Grub 2 appears to be misbehaving as I cannot add FreeBSD to the menu.  The trick worked in Fedora 17 but not here :(
>
> Possibly GRUB2's grub.cfg format has changed, and grubby needs to be updated since that's what updates grub.cfg after a kernel update, not grub2-mkconfig. If you run grub2-mkconfig and if fixes the problem, then that's what's going on. I'd check bugs against grubby before filing a new one.

grubby-8.19-1 is in updates-testing, and was part of a yum update including kernel 3.6.0-0.rc7. Grubby was updated first then the kernel, but on reboot the new kernel was not listed. I'm not sure if the updated grubby was actually used though. grub2-mkconfig, of course, fixes the missing entry.

Chris Murphy