System Requirements

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Wed Apr 3 09:04:19 UTC 2013

Dne Út 2. dubna 2013 15:24:17, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> It's a really squishy area to try and deal with, though, honestly. I'm
> not entirely sure validating HW requirements as part of QA is realistic,
> because I mean, what if we pick 'mail/web server' as one of the roles?

hm, then measure what gets installed/started by default in this role?

> Do we have to set up a kickstart that builds out a running
> postfix/dovecot/apache/wordpress machine and run it for a couple of
> weeks and see what resource use is like? It seems a bit impractical.
> What we can do - and do do at present, though it isn't written in stone
> anywhere - is check that install is possible with various package sets
> with various amounts of RAM right around the current anaconda 'hard
> floor', but trying to determine the minimum resources for various 'real
> world scenarios' seems like it might be quite a lot of thankless work...

I don't think so, that
1) it'd be thankless
2) you'd need weeks to determine the minimum

ad 1), quite recently it happened to me that I wanted to try something using
KDE live that I've run in virtual machine, and the environment itself wasn't
working, I got various core processes like kwin killed or crashing due to lack
of memory

if a box would pop-out before starting the session saying "hey guy, you're
running this at less than 4 GiB memory, this won't work, sure to continue?" or
"hey gal, you're running this at less than 2 GiB physical RAM, this will swap
to death, sure to continue?", it'd save me a lot of time trying to figure out
WTH is going on (is the media checksum correct etc.)

if it'd be during install, it'd be nice to have such a check once the user
choses the software group which rises the bar

ad 2), in the abovementioned case, it was clear almost immediately that
something is wrong, and in server scenario, I think generating a little traffic
to services that are on would be sufficient - if someone leaves the boundaries
of the default setup then it is the admin's responsibility to adjust
accordingly, but let's just provide the base number X, so that if someone
knows "I will run a database which will eat Y memory" then it can be easily
said "X for base system + Y for database = total memory needed"

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team