[Test-Announce] Fedora 19 Alpha Release Candidate 3 (RC3) Available Now!

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Apr 16 15:08:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 05:02:16 -0400 (EDT)
Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:

> Actually this is intended, Release Candidates don't have "RC" in the
> file name. I find it confusing as well. I believe the reason is that
> "the RC that is deemed stable is not to be touched". However, I don't
> see a simple file-rename as a world-breaking operation. But maybe I
> missed some further reason?

RC's are intended to be able to be simply released as is if they pass
all validation.

It's not just a rename... there's often other deeper things that use
names. Is the name of the image reflected in the iso label? Is the name
used in the boot process? Do the checksum files need changing. What
happens if we rename something wrong? It's a giant can of worms. ;)

kevin