[Test-Announce] Fedora 19 Alpha Release Candidate 4 (RC4) Available Now!

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Apr 19 00:39:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 07:12:05PM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> >For the tenth time this week :), debug kernel. Try a nodebug kernel, or
> >'slub_debug=-'. It helps when running the installer as well as on
> >installed systems.
>
> When you want the mass public to test the image you produced, it
> doesn't help when it is as slow as Christmas. You will have to eat
> the fruit you produce and learn to like it. :)
>

> Or post disclaimers that Alphas now use a slow, debug kernel and has
> high memory requirements.

That might be a good idea.  (He writes, with no idea of whether it's an
easy or difficult thing)   Get rid of the cutesy message about accepting
fate and so on--or leave it, but the thing is, making it shorter means more
folks are likely to see it, and just, at that point where you're saying
alpha software something like, note, there is a good deal of debugging code
in these kernels and they may need more resources to run properly.  Or
something similar.

For me, with some very limited testing--minimal install on VirtualBox,
install a few tools to be able to build VBox tools, then, install dwm from
git, it was fine, with pretty low resources.  I didn't do much with it, but
even compiling VBox tools was reasonably quick.   Either 1 or 2 GB RAM on a
64 bit VBox install.

I believe F18 was the first to have a
> debug kernel/high RAM, correct? That's 17 previous releases that
> people were used to a "normal speed" system to test with. Expect
> bitching.

I'm not running into that (see above).  So, it might be the desktop, or the
live CDs with this issue, as opposed to F18 in general.  As someone who
doesn't use Gnome, but seeing all the complaints on the forums, my first
thought is that it might be a Gnome 3 issue.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6