Bug report with private info

Pedro Francisco pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 13:16:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dne úterý, 20. srpna 2013 13:04:30 CEST, Kamil Paral  napsal(a):
>
>> Yes, ABRT should make it easier to see the (potentially) private
>> information in the bug report (without searching through thousands of
>> lines).
>

> just a question ... are you aware that you can use those little arrows next
> to search field to go through (highlighted) strings that abrt has identified
> as potentially sensitive?

No! Completely unaware, I used to copy the backtrace to gedit to
search it there.

Tried it now and found usability issues:
* it's not clear what it does -- input box should have something like,
on italic: (default possible private keywords)
* bigger 'up' and 'down' arrows -- maybe textual label for those two
arrows? Or replace them by a big "Next ocurrence" and smaller
"previous".
* after trying to search for text I inputted, emptying that input box
does not return to searching the possible private information

Maybe something like, at the top:
"Please use the "Next ocurrence" button to cycle through all possibly
private information. Though not frequent, please always check for
usernames and passwords"
along with a counter of possible all private info ocurrences.
The text box should be maintained as well, so as to search for the
passwords (which the user can input there).

> - see attachment 685135 to bug 896246
>
> btw, while at it, I'd be glad if someone else voices opinion on that bug
> (am I completely off?)

I agree with you BUT apparently all fields are searched as plaintext.
Differing between text that lists libraries and text that contains a
backtrace appears to involve some logic which may not be useful to
have or to maintain.
For now, for me, it would be easier to make search easier to use as I
detailed above. At least as a first step.