Boxes question & emulation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Dec 4 03:39:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 08:44 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I see that Boxes is a built in emulator and I was testing it trying to
> run ReactOS on it, but did not succeed running it.  I see that there
> are qemu packages for ReactOS, and was wondering if Boxes uses qemu or
> a different technology.  I know that Virtualbox also exists, but for
> Fedora 20, the rpms don't exist yet :(
> Is there a wiki, or a howto for boxes on how to do things?

Boxes uses libvirt, qemu and KVM, the same stack used by virt-manager.
It should have Help as all GNOME apps do. I think mostly testers use
virt-manager more than Boxes, though; we've tested Boxes out a bit, but
I know I use virt-manager for my day-to-day stuff.

VirtualBox is available from third-party repositories, it is not
packaged in Fedora because it relies on out of tree kernel modules. It's
quite popular among some users, but I know the Fedora kernel and virt
devs consider it bad code.