F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Feb 3 01:56:54 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-02 at 18:39 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2013, at 6:17 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2013-02-02 at 18:05 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >
> > and there you go. and that took me all of two minutes. it ain't
> rocket
> > science, guys!
>
> Ok it's like learning to ski and then get on a snowboard. OK, no it's
> like learning to snowboard and then take up telemark. Or brick laying.
> I'm simply unaccustomed to considering searching source, because well,
> Apple doesn't do that. I'm used to poking things with sticks.

Well, thing is, if you find yourself in a conversation which is strongly
predicated on what some code does, you should develop the reflex of
*just going and looking at the code*. As long as you're in Fedoraland,
anyway. Especially if we're talking about anaconda, since it's written
in Python, which is an outstandingly readable language. You don't need
to know zip about coding to read the anaconda source, though it helps to
have an understanding of approximately how anaconda works and what
you're looking for, which I'm sure you do. If the code's written in
perl, think twice and take tylenol with you. :)

> So the feature being asked for means changing anaconda to not pass
> through nomodeset to /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=, but rather
> write out a trigger in /etc/default/grub for a whole new function in
> grub2-mkconfig that doesn't yet exist, to create advanced submenu
> options that contain nomodeset. *shrug* Maybe patches would be
> accepted, I'd post on grub-devel@ before doing the work though.

I think this is definitely patches-accepted territory. I can imagine
pjones' face if he ever reads this thread. It's a fun mind picture, but
it is not which suggests that he would be highly motivated to go and
write the patches.

Hell, to be honest, this is an area where even if you submit a patch, it
might not get taken. This code already has a bunch of #this is ugly
comments on it (I cut out several). So...make it a *good* patch. :)