Did gnome 3.7.5 break things for anyone else?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 07:36:43 UTC 2013

On 7 Feb 2013 05:16, "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 21:05:52 -0800,
>   Samuel Sieb <samuel at sieb.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/06/2013 06:00 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>>
>>> I use force fallback on an old video card and it may be that with 3.7.5
>>> that support in Fedora has finally stopped, but I see log messages
>>> suggesting a dbus system problem and so was wondering if other people
>>> were seeing something similar?
>>> g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error:
>>> Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read
>>> (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
>>

>> Isn't fallback mode gone in that version, to be replaced with
>

> It hadn't been gone in Fedora as of a couple of days ago. It's possible
it went away with 3.7.5.

>> "classic" mode?  I have no idea why that would give you dbus errors.
 You also don't mention if there are any visible changes or if you just
happened to see those messages in the log.

> I get the error something has gone wrong page. I am supposed to logout
and try again. I forgot to try the Alt-F4 trick to see if things would
work. I tried switching to cinnamon 2d, but that failed the same way. Next
I tried Mate and that worked.

The new classic mode still uses mutter and hence the 3D engine / clutter to
render, I suspect cinnamon 2D is the same and hence the reason mate works
as it doesn't use clutter and friends.

Peter