update some testcases

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 08:02:22 UTC 2013

> >I think we should create a separate wiki page "QA:Anaconda
> >partitioning", that explains the differences between the "guided
> >partitioning" and "custom partitioning", and also between
> >>"autopart" and "manual partitioning". Ideally with screenshots.
> >Then we can link that page and simply ask the tester to encrypt the
> >disk using method A or B (or any of them). In >this case, I think
> >we only mandate "autopart", nothing else.
>    Hi Kamil,
>    I feel a little confused,in"guided partitioning mode",we do"auto
>    partitiong",in"custom partitioning mode",we do"manual
>    partitiong",
>    actually,there is no "guided partitioning mode" or"custom
>    partitioning mode",we do default install then we can
>    call it"guided partitiong mode" if we change something,we can say
>    it in"custom partitiong mode", As for "auto
>    partitioning",we only need to click"continue".Am I right?

Guided mode is the screen where you can only preserve or delete partitions, nothing else. Custom mode is the screen where you can set up the partitions to your will.

Automatic partitioning ("autopart") is an approach of letting Anaconda create the partition setup automatically for you. It is used in guided mode and _can_ be used in custom mode (by clicking the blue text "Create partition layout automatically"). Manual partitioning is the approach of doing everything by yourself, basically it is a custom mode without using autopart.

I'm using the terms in the sense I see them most often used. But maybe different terms could be less confusing. Adam, do you want to comment on terminology?

> >In the original text there is also:
> >#  Repeat the test, selecting a non-English keyboard map and
> >entering a passphrase which would not be input the same on an
> >English keyboard map
> >Personally I would erase this one, I'm not a fan on
> >"repeat-several-times" test cases. We can explicitly say the
> >password _might not_ be set using an English keymap. It's then up
> >to >people to choose. In several test runs we will receive the same
> >result (multiple keymaps tested) with less time invested.
>
>  For this one ,I'm a little disagree with you.If we do not
>  highlight"selecting a non-English keyboard map",we QA may tends to
>  use English keyboard map only.
>  for example,I am an Chinese,but I would just do the default English
>  install for all the testcases,if there is no special saying.

If something is not explicitly stated in the test case, people should be free to do it as they see fit. We might set up some "testing introduction" page and describe these principles. But I agree with you, in order to encourage using different keymaps, we can explicitly say it's allowed. That's why I proposed:
"We can explicitly say the password _might not_ be set using an English keymap."

> >> Testcase::https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_%28use_free_space%29_install
> >> How to test
> >>     Boot the installer using any available means
> >>     Make sure your disk is not set to be encrypted
> >>     Select the appropriate disk, and continue installation,
> >>     choosing
> >>     all provided defaults
> >>     As for the text mode, you should choose"use free space"for the
> >>     Autopartitioning Options
>
> >This test case is a bit unclear that only the free space should be
> >used. I think this would do:
>
> ># Install Fedora into the existing free space, without modifying the
> >existing partitions. That should be the default behavior of
> >graphical installer when you select the target disk >and follow the
> >default choices. In text mode, there is a special option for using
> >the free space.
>
> For this,we can add one sentence:
> How to test
>    Boot the installer using any available means
>    Make sure your disk is not set to be encrypted
>    Select the appropriate disk, and continue installation, choosing
>    all provided defaults,
>    and make sure the existing partitions are not modified
>    As for the text mode, you should choose"use free space"for the
>    Autopartitioning Options

Yes, that's basically the same. I prefer to not quote the button labels ("option for using the free space" instead of "choose 'use free space'").

> >Thanks for your work. When you're at it, could you please try to
> >create the "QA:Anaconda partitioning" wiki page with a few
> >screenshots and a short description what "guided >partitioning
> >mode", "custom partitioning mode", "auto partitioning", and "manual
> >partitioning" are? I believe that would be very useful for lots of
> >our test cases. Then we can >update some of them with links as
> >proposed above.
>

>    Thanks a lot for your comments .But,er..it seems that there is no
>    need to take sreenshot,as the anaconda's explanation is clear
>    enough.

I imagine a page with a screenshot of guided mode screen, and a screenshot of custom mode screen. It would be used to illustrate what is the guided mode and what is the custom mode. There doesn't need to be a lot of description, just saying "this is the guided mode" and "this is the custom mode" is enough. We can then link the page, people will have a look at it and in 10 seconds they will understand which parts of anaconda they should work with to verify the test case.

Thanks for working on this.