how add additional repos to ananconda installer?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Wed Jan 9 10:28:19 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 02:41 +0100, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> I'm trying install F18, doing NFS graphical installation with XFCE
>> desktop (and several add-ons groups). Installation started from
>> installation CD (images/boot.iso image), anaconda 18.37.8, with
>> "repo=nfs:/server/repopath".
>>
>> How I can specify additional repos and select their packages?
>
> You can't, interactively.

And non-interactively? When I tried multiple "repo=" items on kernel
cmdline, then it appears as only last is considered.

>> Also, how I can select other than these in add-ons groups and
>> select individual packages?
>
> You also can't.
>
> You can do both these things via kickstart. Supplemental repositories
> should be back in F19 - they were supposed to be in F18, but no-one got
> time to write the code - but individual package selection is removed
> intentionally on the basis that it's not worth carrying a whole package
> installation GUI in the installer. In most cases you can tweak package
> selection post-install. If you really really need to do it at install
> time, you can use a kickstart.

And, please, is possible in any easy way create my own add-ons groups
and replace currently present? Although groups as Medical, Robotics,
Milkymist and some others demonstrates Fedora coverage, they are not
for everybody. In my case, I frequently install Fedora distros for
school 3-19 years old "students" (from nursery to high school),
and great deal of installed (or rather used) packages is from old
"Education", "Games", "Graphics", "Multimedia" groups - and there is
need for their selection (e.g. not all games are acceptable for
nursery school). Then, some sort of customization installation process
would be good.

My usuall installation practice until now was installation from local
nfs repos (Everything, Fupdates, rpmfusion*, my own). This had for me
advantages:
- I could fine select content for every installation
- after installation i had fully updated system
- when I did this installation for my usual installation types
(~5), then I can use their /root/anaconda-ks.cfg as kickstart files
for all rest of installations for given distro, and even (with small
edit) for next Fedora version install.

It seems for me as new F18 installer is significant step back for this
practice. And when I remember, kickstart as was ~2 years back, could not
do fine package selection, maybe was not able work with multiple repos
too.