F18 Eth config: return from p8p1 to eth0

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 12:25:17 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 11:17 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> First, I must commend for solving problems from older installers,
> where wasn't possible do manual network config for other nets
> different than was this in install time (network install) - in F18
> this seems be finally working.
>
> But is possible in install time disable biosdevname and use old good
> ethX scheme? It is more human understandable, and almost always is
> unacceptable when I replace NIC or move it to other slot to that get
> new network device. Simply, in many cases is MAC-based NIC naming
> better.
> F18 installer can solve this?

No installer will not fix this.

How network interface get their device names is that first the Kernel
assigns one then userspace will rename it when udev sees it.

However ( hopefully ) this will be permanently fixed in F19 and onwards
via [1].
( the changes are already in rawhide and yes this will fix the annoying
ks/cobbler ethX bug everyone is familiar with )

JBG

1.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames