kernel headers - Now a BIGGER Issue

Christopher A Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Tue Jan 15 03:01:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 09:16 -0700, Christopher A Williams wrote:
> n Mon, 2013-01-14 at 09:20 -0600, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> >

> > > ...And because of the way Workstation 9.0.1 is trying to deal with it, I
> > > believe this now falls squarely back on the Fedora team to look at and
> > > resolve. You can't blame Workstation or its licensing model - don't even
> > > start.
> > >

> > The UAPI changes are upstream starting with 3.7 kernels, and won't be going
> > away. VMWare should fix their build scripts at some point, everyone else
> > seems to have figured it out early in the RC phase of 3.7. There is nothing
> > Fedora specific about this.  We aren't doing anything wonky.
>
> OK, so you're not doing anything unusual with the kernel. Fine. But I
> doubt everyone else has figured this out in the 3.7 RC series.
>
> That said, I am pointing this out within VMware circles as well. I don't
> really have the cycles to go poking through everyone's scripts right now
> (else I would have already).

After some digging tonight, I found the appropriate work-around to get
this going on the current 3.7 kernel. Ironically, the statement "The
UAPI changes are upstream..." tipped me off. The correct symlink command
for the current 3.7 kernel is:

ln
-s /usr/src/kernels/3.7.2-201.fc18.x86_64/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/kernels/3.7.2-201.fc18.x86_64/include/linux/version.h

When new kernel versions come out, this will need to be modified again
until VMware patches their scripts to handle the UAPI changes.

Once this symlink is done, Workstation 9.0.1 runs as it should.

Chris