Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 12:47:11 UTC 2013

Dne Čt 24. ledna 2013 05:58:00, Fernando Cassia napsal(a):
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:
> > because resources are limited
>
> I´ll have to trust your word.
>
> > do you volunteer to maintain and test MySQL?
>
> If I find a volunteer, will you continue shipping it?.

well ... I cannot say that FESCo won't pass a rule "we do not ship MySQL" :-)
but in reality, any package can be included in Fedora as long as there are no
legal reasons not to include it (not a case of MySQL) and it has a maintainer
(approved packager takes care of it) who obeys the packaging rules

> I smell a proxy war against Oracle for their Oracle Linux efforts,
> totally politically motivated and with dubious technical reasons. But
> hey, that´s just me.

yep, it may seem so from outside

but, to me, these *are* technical reasons - if you were the package
maintainer, how would you fix a bug which is described like:

"Unspecified vulnerability in the Server component in Oracle MySQL 5.1.66 and
earlier, and 5.5.28 and earlier, allows remote authenticated users to affect
availability via unknown vectors related to Information Schema."

[http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2013-0384]

and there is no upstream patch associated to it?

wouldn't that be better to go with a database project that doesn't keep the
informations secret and gives you access to patches needed to fix your package?

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team