Proposal: retire proventesters and bugzappers onboarding processes harder, create new QA onboarding process

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 06:38:34 UTC 2013

Hey folks! Here's another thing that's been on my todo list for a while.

So we still get proventester and bugzapper membership requests
regularly, and poor old dr johnson and to a small degree myself
laboriously go around telling people 'hi, thanks for joining, but that
cake was a lie! please come eat this other delicious cake instead'. It's
kinda silly.

So it'd be nice to kill those processes a bit harder: I don't have all
the specific changes drafted up yet, but my idea would be to actually
hide the text on the proventesters and BZ pages that describes the
'joining' processes. When we first hibernated the PT process we kinda
thought it might come back again soon, but that doesn't seem to be
happening, so let's do it a bit harder now.

They would leave a bit of a gap behind, though - it is quite nice to
hear from people when they join up, and while we previously decided not
to use the QA FAS group because we didn't really have any tasks that
needed special privileges, someone pointed out at FUDCon that there are
some things within Fedora which require membership of a FAS group, like
voting in certain elections. So I think it might be nice if we created a
generic QA 'onboarding' process - much like those two, where you just
send a mail to the list saying 'hi, I'd like to join' and we say
'welcome!' and add you to the QA FAS group and send you a little
introductory mail. We could probably give editbugs privs to people in QA
and add all current members of bugzappers/proventesters into the qa
group.

I can draft up the specific changes later, but does this broad outline
sound reasonable to everyone? Any concerns or alternative proposals?
Thanks!