netinst.iso poor experience

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 30 11:37:11 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 08:17 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> I tried an install of f18 on a new bare metal machine today.  My 1st try was
> netinst.iso.
>
> It sat 'installing' for well over an hour, giving _no feedback at all_ as to
> what it was doing.  I can only guess it was d/l stuff from an overloaded mirror.
>
> I checked periodically, and saw anaconda was using some cpu (5%), so it wasn't
> just stuck, and there seemed to be network activity.
>
> That's a pretty poor user experience.
>
> While waiting, I d/l the DVD (which is much more than what netinst should have
> been d/l'ing), burned the dvd, and started the install over.  Finished the 2nd
> attempt OK.

Is this a change in behaviour from f17?

In that I mean what net access is there in f17 and f18 prior to getting
to the packages?  It would seem there is enough on the CD for the first
steps of the install?

The reason I ask is I do a netinst from a local repo.  I have the
complete base and update repos (going back to f12 and Centos 5.0) here
on my local lan (I rsync updates nightly) and in the past when the
install gets to the packages, I point it to my local repos.

With f18 now do I need to add a url for the base repo at boot time?