option to install extlinux to a partition???

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 12 15:35:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 04:55 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-07-12 00:56 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:
>
> > On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 02:58 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> Navigating through manual partitioning (which I don't need, as all I need to
> >> do is to set the / mount point) requires unintuitive procedural logic. Input
> >> fields filled in or buttons clicked out of secret order are treated as though
> >> left blank or unclicked.
>
> > Are you hitting the 'Update Settings' button after you change something?
> > That's what it's for.
>
> Against intuition, I have been. What does "update settings" mean? I didn't
> change any settings. I filled in a form applicable to one partition, one that
> literally could have been complete via only one item, mount point, since it
> is already formatted and labeled. Why not "submit", or "apply"?
>
> cf.
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/yast2-03-expertPart0768.png ->
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/yast2-04-expertPart18Config0768.png ->
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/yast2-04-expertPart18Options0768.png
>
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaReadonly1s2.png (simpler than this I cannot imagine)

Really, the design of newUI custom partitioning is basically the same
except that the existing partitions are shown on the left and the stuff
that's in SUSE's 'edit partitions' dialog is on the right of the same
page rather than in a separate dialog. That's all there is to it, it's
no more complex than that.