What does one do about a package maintainer with an attitude problem?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Mon Jul 22 16:41:13 UTC 2013

What can be done about a package maintainer with, for lack of a better
term, an ongoing attitude problem?

Here are some examples of interactions I've had with this individual. I
am trying to be circumspect because I'm not trying to engage in public
shaming, but I really need some advice...

The maintainer closed an abrt crash report about a package with
INSUFFICIENT_DATA. He didn't actually ask the reporter of the issue for
any additional information before closing it. I asked why in the bug,
and he responded, "No steps to reproduce = closed bug. Why should we
have to ask as it takes valuable time?" Leaving aside for the fact that
I think he's wrong about that to begin with, I posted my own
reproduction steps in the bug and he didn't reopen it.

I filed another defect about the same package because one of its dialogs
provided several pieces of incorrect information about a particular
configuration setting and how to change it. He responded, "Oh, that
screen is wrong, we don't actually use that configuration setting.
Here's the setting you actually need to use, and how to examine or
change it from the command line." Then he closed the defect with
NOTABUG. I responded and pointed out that surely it was a bug that the
dialog gave incorrect information about both the value of the setting
and how to change it, and surely it was a but that the setting could
only be changed from the command line. He ignored my comment and did not
reopen the bug.

I filed another defect about the same page explaining exactly what I had
done to cause the issue I was reporting. He closed the bug with
INSUFFICIENT_DATA, without any comment about what exactly he found
lacking in my reproduction steps. I didn't try to argue with him,
because, well, I'd seen by this point how much good that would do.

I am reluctant to criticize the volunteers without whom Fedora would not
exist, but at the same time, I think this package maintainer is doing a
poor job of maintaining this package (and, I assume, the others he
maintains), doing a poor job of providing feedback about issues like
this to the upstream maintainers, and scaring away end users from filing
defects about real issues.

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks,

   jik