cups

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 09:20:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 09:20 -0700, richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com wrote:
> I thought CUPS was developed by the open source community; I was just
> setting up the printer and impressed that the program called up the
> commands itself, and thought one of us was responsible for making it
> so easy, even if at a lesser extent.

There is no single "open source community" really.  CUPS is developed as
open source, and Apple does most of the core development.

If you're thinking about automatic printer driver installation, or
automatic queue set-up when a USB printer is connected, or the slick
Printers page in the GNOME System Settings tool... those features were
largely developed by Red Hat. :-)

Tim.
*/