F19 Final criteria revamp

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jun 10 12:57:44 UTC 2013

On Jun 10, 2013, at 4:46 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> We should just drop that entirely.

That's unrealistic.

> Our criteria should not depend on windows ( or any other OS for that matter ) nor can we expect all users to own a windows or require it from them to obtain it legally or illegally just so this get's tested.

Well it's a matter of some recruitment and volunteering of interested parties to do some testing before the product goes final, isn't it? I don't think any of the hard core testers should be required to buy it. Some impetus is on users with a vested interest in it working to do the testing, and presumably they have it.

On Jun 10, 2013, at 6:49 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our user base is Fedora users not Windows users or dual booting users and  more or less every shipped hardware in the past five years has supported virtualization
>
> Quite frankly dual booting is a thing of the past and it should be dropped from the criteria.

This is specious. Fedora users depend on dual boot more than RHEL users, not the other way around. Fedora users largely depend on another OS as their primary OS. Of those perhaps most are virtualizing Fedora in a non-KVM environment, and the second is baremetal dual boot.

Dual boot capability is important because it creates the condition to improve linux's ability to run on a variety of hardware, video card drivers and so forth. If linux runs well to excellent, then running Windows (or OS X) in qemu/kvm is then realistic. On a whole lot of hardware that's just not the case.

Chris Murphy