F19 Installer a little better, but...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 17:41:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 12:20 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:09:02 -0700
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > > Actually, just calling it "Next" instead of "Done" would help a lot
> > > to provide some hope that you might eventually get to select partitions :-).
> >
> > Like I said, that's exactly what it was labeled before, and people
> > didn't like that either (check F18).
>
> I'm pretty sure the interface I would find most useful that should
> also solve the problem of protecting disks is this:
>
> Go directly to a tree of disks and partitions and free space.
>
> The disks are all "locked". They probably have a lock icon next
> to them. You can do readonly operations on locked disks, but
> not clobber anything.
>
> The tree contains a comment field out to the side which can
> include things like the kernel installed on that partition,
> the label of that parition, etc. Or for disks the model
> and serial number. But kernels are not roots of trees
> (that is just utter nonsense).
>
> You have to unlock a disk first to be able to reformat or
> delete partitions and use free space.
>
> So now there are no extra screens to go through on a hope
> and a prayer and disks are protected unless you unlock them.

That's a complete re-design of partitioning, and way beyond the scope
we're talking about here. I doubt the anaconda team would go with that
idea, but anyway, you'd need to propose that as a complete partitioning
workflow re-design, with justifications and mockups and etc etc, not
just in a test@ thread.