language setting in gnome unset

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 14 03:38:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 22:39 -0400, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2013, at 10:13 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 21:47 -0400, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >> With TC3 I'm finding in Gnome Settings > Users, the Language pop-up
> >> right under Account Type, is unset. As in, it's blank. There doesn't
> >> appear to be a consequence of this, but when I change it to English
> >> (United States) it sticks through reboots, and there isn't a blank
> >> option in the list. So it appears to actually have been unset as
> >> installed.
> >
> > Perhaps it stays blank on a new user until that user runs g-i-s?
>
> I don't know that acronym. I set a root password, and created a new
> user, with anaconda during installation. No additional users were
> created. I logged in as the anaconda created new user, and that's
> where I found the language unset in Gnome.

Ah, I see. g-i-s is gnome-initial-setup. I expect it would be set
correctly if you had not created a user during install but instead done
it post-install with g-i-s. I guess if you create a user during install,
nothing in GNOME explicitly sets that user's personal locale and instead
you'll be using the system-wide one, or something like that. I don't
know whether GNOME would consider that a bug or not - best ask them.