consider people with poor vision, was Re: F19 Installer a little better, but...[consider people with poor vision

Gavin Flower GavinFlower at archidevsys.co.nz
Sat Jun 15 08:04:22 UTC 2013

On 15/06/13 16:22, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-06-14 12:53 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:
[...]
> Among the many other complaints other people have raised
>> about the installer, I don't recall one other person complaining about
>> text being too small.
>
> Do you think people in the business of developing software or
> otherwise using a PC for most of any given work day are people whose
> vision is below average? I don't. I think quite the opposite, that
> those with poorer than average vision gravitate away from using a PC
> screen any more than they must, that many won't do it at all, and that
> few such people pursue occupations that require doing more than a
> little that requires using a PC. Net result is most in the puter
> business, including FOSS software testers, have both better than
> average vision, and more importantly, little or no understanding of or
> appreciation for the difficulties encountered by those who see less
> well. People aren't complaining because the people doing are almost
> entirely made up of a class of people with good vision, people who do
> it because they don't have undue visual obstacles to doing it.
[...]
For several years, I often had very misty vision because the layer of
cells above my cornea could not handle moisture properly. Sometimes it
was so bad that I could hardly read the keyboard at 300mm, and glancing
around the screen meant I could eassily miss things.  I remember
concentrating hard to resolve whether a character was a comma ',' or a
full stop '.' (similarly 'a' & 'e') - not good for a software developer.

I have had cataract surgery, and surgery to replace those layer of cells
from grafts.  So now I can see the screen quite fine with glasses - even
from a metre away, whereas previously I needed to be at 600mm or closer
depending on how misty my eyes were.

Well I am 62 and still doing software development - so please do not put
important things in small print and avoid dark grey text on a light grey
background etc. (I can read it if I notice it, but I might miss its
significant if I just glance at the screen).  When my eyes were misty, I
often recognised things by their overall shape even when individual
characters where fuzzy.

I am lucky (I know people who were a lot younger than I am, with much
worse vision), I now can reduce fonts to less than their default sizes
and see quite well, though I notice I tend to make browser text bigger.
For me, what helped most (prior to my eye surgeries) was getting a 30"
monitor. Now the biggest nuisance is swapping glasses: one for my
laptop, one for my monitor, and no glasses required for walking around &
driving.

In conclusion, there is a whole continuum between perfect vision & being
blind.  So for really important things, especially if considered
unexpected (either by new people - or people familiar with that screen,
but something important has changed)  be carefully how the text is
presented.

Cheers,
Gavin