need PreferredMode troubleshooting help [solved]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 17:46:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 04:19 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > That was it. 'yum remove kscreen' wanted to remove kde-workspace. 'rpm -e
> > --nodeps kscreen' mostly fixed it. There's a strong flicker I can't recall
> > ever seeing before from the Radeon's DVI output (also in SUSE) as if running
> > below 60 refresh, while actually running 75, but its VGA and Intel's output
> > work normally. 'zypper se -s reen' finds no similar 13.1 package for 4.10.4.
>
> You can just disable kscreen without resorting to forced rpm commands
> if that's what you want:
> qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.unloadModule kscreen
> qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.setModuleAutoloading kscreen false
>
> > Now the questions have become:
> >
> > 1-why is it required for single display F19 KDE users?
>
> As Adam points out, it's very useful for single monitor setups as well.
>
> > 2-does it need to by default usurp xorg.conf directives?
>
> As I understand it, expecting X to handle anything more than one
> display sanely is unpossible,

I don't know quite what you mean by this, but it's not that difficult to
specify a multi-monitor config in an Xorg config snippet if you take the
time to read the documentation. I mean, it's not actively *fun* or
anything, but it's not like setting up sendmail or something. =)

What I'd say is simply that this is the logical and sensible design, and
used for all sorts of other things. It's pretty much a *nix convention
that user configuration trumps admin configuration which trumps
defaults. So /etc/X11/xorg.conf(.d) trumps the X defaults, and any user
configuration set in /home or via GNOME or KDE or any other desktop
trumps the admin configuration in /etc . I don't see that that setup is
at all radical or unusual.